Thursday, March 1, 2012

Autumn Gardening + Today

I don't know if this happens to you.............. we begin spring with a flurry of garden activity. We plan what we are going to plant, order extra seeds we may need, hoe the garden and fork in horse and chicken manure, then it's plant, plant, plant. We do go a little over board with some things. We make grand plans. We are going to keep trying to grow all our own veges.
Then summer hits. We don't have a watering system set up YET, so we end up spending A LOT of time watering. Sometimes it's two hours per day and this takes a lot of time out of an already busy day. It doesn't leave any much time for keeping the weeds under control. So by the end of summer, which was officially yesterday, our garden is weeds galore.
So towards the end of this summer I have started to plant seeds in foam boxes. I didn't like this idea at first. I was worried about chemicals leaching into the veges, however our neighbour has assured me they won't. I hope he is right. If you have read differently please let me know. I am not planning on doing this forever, just until we get the garden back under control.
Kale.... I planted this a little early... will see how it goes. I will plant this into the garden when it's a bit bigger.


Lettuce and mesclun mix.....

Rocket and mesclun mix.....

Today was raining again, and I'm not complaining, so I decided to do a little baking.
Chocolate cake for the boys. We aim for 90% of our food to be healthy with a few treats here and there. I also made chocolate frogs for them, a healthyish treat but it does have some sugar in it. I'll post these recipes another time.

I bought some Nutritional Yeast (Savoury Yeast Flakes) for the first time a couple of days ago. It is ideal for vegetarians and is a rich source of B Vitamins. I tried it sprinkled over a tomato based sauce with pasta today. Quite nice.

Rain, rain, beautiful rain, unless you live on flood affected areas of course and if you do my heart goes out to you. This is over the road from our place at the front of my Uncle's property. We are a little higher than him and don't get affected. He doesn't either. He just has heaps of water laying around the front of his place. My parents live next door and are the same.

I hope your day has been a good one and that your home is safe and dry. xxoo

2 comments:

  1. My life is about white fluffy stuff outside, not rain. Dreaming of Spring. I'm not a good gardener; but did start an herb garden and look forward to adding to it each year. I dream of raised garden beds for veg and hope to make this a realilty at some point... but it will not be this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Kika, if only there were more hours in the day, and more energy for mama too.

    ReplyDelete