Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Lovely Day At Home

After spending the previous three mornings out and about, doing some grocery shopping and odd jobs, it was time for a day at home having a bit of a catch up. 

First bit of catching up is on my blog.
This week I have been soaking grains and beans, cooking them and storing them in the freezer. 
Here is tri-coloured quinoa soaking.....
I love all the different colours.....


Next we have some white beans soaking......


Quinoa has been cooked and is being prepared for the freezer....


White beans in the saucepan cooking away....


While out grocery shopping this week I was very excited to find some organic blueberries in Woolworths. 


In K Mart I found these heart shaped silicon molds. (only $5)
I am going to make soap in these for Mothers' Day.

 

I am removing as much plastic as I can from our home at the moment.
I found this stainless steel citrus juicer in K Mart too, (only $5), to replace our plastic one.

 

I am upping my exercise routine at the moment too.
I couldn't resist these hand weights.
The 0.5kg weights were only $3 each and the 1kg weights were $5 each. 

 

Back to today.......

I had a lovely time working slowly and mindfully through my tasks. 
As I wasn't in a rush I actually enjoyed myself doing the washing, hanging clothes on the line, washing up etc. 

I also enjoyed making and eating healthy, organic, whole, nutritious foods. Whole grains, beans, fruits and veges, with lots of filtered water plus the odd cup of earl grey or dandelion tea.

 

I read a bit of my new book "Down to Earth" by Rhonda Hetzel.
In her book Rhonda says:
"Housework never ends, so don't try to finish it."

"Streamline your tasks and don't aim for perfection. Take breaks."
...."understand the reason for your work and look for the pleasure in it. Be proud of what you achieve every day because you are providing a good home for your loved ones, you are making the most of the resources you have and looking after what you own. Stop thinking that you'll never get through it all. Housework never ends, so don't try to finish it. Just do as much as you can do or feel like doing today, and continue with it tomorrow." 

This sounds like my kind of advice.

To finish my day I enjoyed this pizza. 
Wholemeal lebanese bread for the base. Sometimes I make the base, but not today. 
Topped with organic tomato paste, spinach, basil, spring onions from our garden, leftover pumpkin from yesterday, organic fetta cheese and a sprinkle of nutmeg. 
This was baked in the oven.
I then added olives and avocado. (I took the photo without the avocado because
 I'm not very neat at cutting it up.) 


I hope you had a lovely day today too. 
What did you get up to?



3 comments:

  1. Julie, I am so enjoying your blog! I too like the new name for your blog, I appreciate the wisdom of Rhonda, I so need to get her book. It was nice to hear that you enjoyed your home tasks when you did not have to rush through, I believe that taking care of business at home is an honor. Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you April. I hope your weekend is a lovely one. Take care. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great day. I'm about to try cooking my own beans. How exciting to find organic blueberries. I'll go check out my woolies tomorrow but I'm not hopeful. I live in THE worst place for buying organic or vegan products.

    ReplyDelete