Tuesday, September 25, 2012

letting go

I am feeling a bit teary this morning. My baby is off on a holiday all of his own. He is with his grandparents, aunty and cousins. He is having a wonderful time, but he is 4 hours away. It is his first holiday without his mum, dad and brother. He is 12.

When we have babies and small children there are sleepless nights, nappies to change, hugs and cuddles, smiles, interrupted sleep, teething, colds, endless games, the list goes on. A lot of it is wonderful, most of it actually, but there are hard times too. We think things will be like this forever. We think we'll never get a good nights sleep again and we think those hugs and smiles will be there for us everyday. But they're not. One day we turn around and our children are off on their own little adventure without us. It's hard. It is change that you may feel not quite ready for. It is sadness for yourself, but happiness that your child feels secure and confident enough to be out exploring the world without you and that they are having fun.

On Friday morning my husband and Josh went to visit my husband's parents, sister and niece and nephew for the weekend. Brad and I stayed at home. They all had a lovely weekend. On Sunday my husband packed the car ready to come home, but Josh decided he might stay for a few days longer as it is school holidays. He then proceeded to get his things back out of the car. He has been talking about doing this for a while now, but this time he actually did it. It's a big step for him. He is in wonderful hands though as his grandparents, aunty and cousins are wonderful people. They will spoil him in the best possible ways with lots of love.

Today is Tuesday, so I haven't seen my boy for four nights. He was going to come home on Thursday, but is now talking of staying longer. How will his dad and I cope?  We are both struggling a bit, but are happy our boy is having so much fun. We've told him that as soon as he's ready we'll come and get him.

This parenting gig is hard sometimes. I think it's the hardest thing we'll ever do, but also the best thing we'll ever do. We love our children so much. They are the most important thing in the world. We need to make the most of everyday with them. Hug them, cherish them. They are so beautiful and they are so loved. xxoo

9 comments:

  1. Oh Julie I do understand how it feels to have your children be away, it is very hard and I know that it has only been but for a couple of nights at one time for my oldest (13) I think of her often. Take care and hugs to you and your hubby. I hope your boy is having a great time although hard for you it also means you've done a fantastic job as a parent to send out a confident young man into the world. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Catherine. Your kind comments mean a lot to me. xxoo

      Delete
  2. Julie, you got me with this one. I can see myself in a few years' time writing the same words you're writing here, and it hurts. It's really the toughest thing we'll ever have to do. Even as I'm counting the days for the chance to go away for two nights without my children very soon, I know I'll probably be wondering about them the whole time I'm away. The days are very often so long, but the years are short. Thinking of you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hearing you Vanessa. Thank you. Enjoy your two nights. xxoo

      Delete
  3. Ohh I'm feeling for you. He must be feeling so secure though both in himself and with his grandparents. I'm sure that's because he's had such wonderful, loving security all of his life with the way you've parented him. He'll be home soon:) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Julie I'm all teary reading this! I love the words you have chosen, and I love how the words reflect the beautiful connection you have with your boys. Elisa xxxx

    ReplyDelete